Hello faithful readers!
Due to my duty as a student is Mutiara Harapan High School, i must update my blog every term. So, in this term i would to discuss about acids, bases and alkali.
definition : acid is a substance that produces hydrogen ions, H+, in aqueous solution.
properties of acids :
1. Acid have sour taste
2. Acids dissolve in water to form solutions which conduct electricity
3. Acid turns blue litmus paper into red\
4. Acids has pH scale < 7. I if is below 3 it is strong acid.
4. Acids react with reactive metals to form a salt and hydrogen gas
5. Acids react with carbonates and hydrogen carbonates to form a salt, water and carbon dioxide
6. Acids react with metal oxides and hydroxides to form a salt and water only
Uses of acids:
1. HCl (hydrocholric acids) : is used to clean impurities such as rust or scale from metals and aluminium alloys
2. CH3COOH (Ethanoic acids) : is used in vinegar to act as a food preservative and flavor enhancer
3. Phosphoric acids : is added to food and beverages to give them a sour taste
definition : is any metal oxide or hydroxide that reacts with an acid to produce a salt and water only
definition: an alkali is a substance that produces hydroxide ions, OH-, in aqueous solution.
1. Have bitter taste and feel soapy
2. Turns red litmus paper to blue
3. Alkalis react with acid to form a salt and water only
4. Alkalis, when heated with ammonium salts, give off ammonia gas
5. Alkalis react with a solution of one metal salt to give another metal salt and metal hydroxide
Uses of Bases and Alkalis
1. Magnesium Oxide : is used as antacid for relieving gastric pain and for making refractory bricks
2. Sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide: are used in the preparation of soap
3. Calcium hydroxide is used to reduce acidity in soil